Sunday, March 20, 2005

Catching up

I've been so busy knitting, I have failed to stay current on this blog 'o mine. Let's see...what have I done since I last wrote?

Well, the Frolicking Shamrocks are done and all delivered in time for St. Patrick's Day....all three pair! They were fun to do, but the solid color, straight knitting about drove me nuts! Boring with a capital B. I can't see beading all that often, but it's nice to have done it just the same.

I finished the cashmere smoke ring and managed to knock off a pair of warm woolie Bartletts for my dear sis and bro-in-law which I gave them when they came with the oodles of stuff from my aunt's estate.

My gift cert to the LYS was burning a hole in my pocket, so I grabbed some Maxi-Ringel in blues and green that I just love. So much so, I'm doing a k2, p2 for the whole sock! Talk about boring, but at least the colors keep it interesting. And I finally found a colorway and pattern for Debbie...Broadripples in LL Tuscanny.

Speaking of LL, I can't believe what my gorgeous socks look like after just three washings. The whole cuff and leg is all pilled and fuzzy looking...not felted, just looking frayed and crappy. I loved them so much and now they look like junk. I am so disappointed...not to mention embarrassed when I think of all the ones I have given as gifts. What a pleasant thing....handmade socks that look like crap after wearing them a few times. I can't imagine why this is happening. Gauge? Pattern? Yarn? The foot is fine...nice and tight and not a bit of pilling or fuzziness, but the leg looks like I've had them for 20 years. So much for the high price on that stuff! Unfortunately, I still love it. I love the colors, the way it works up and feels. But I won't be making anymore until I figure how to avoid this disappointing final product.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I can't imagine what would make that happen! I run my LL socks through the washer and dryer all the time, and they are fine. One even went through the hot wash / dry with a load of jeans accidentally, and while it was smaller than the other one that time, the next time they were washed it was the same size as its sibling. And I wonder why the leg and not the foot? Could there be something snaggy on the pants you were wearing?